Saturday, July 21, 2007

Attack on Al Gore's Assault on Reason

I was recently scanning the internet for entries on Al Gore's book, Assault on Reason, and was surprised to see so many people criticize the book before they had actually read it. Some of these people did not plan on reading it at all but offered some strong opinions. For example, Robert Tracinski on a site called Real Clear Politics said, “Based on excerpts of Gore's book published in TIME, his not-so-subtle theme is that reason is being "assaulted" by a free and unfettered debate in the media. . .” Actually his argument centers around his thesis that there is not a free and unfettered debate in the media, though a person is free to disagree with this thesis and the reasoning that leads to it.

Josh Hammond on the site Best of the Blogs stated, “If you thought Al Gore was arrogant, condescending, and a know-it-all before (none who read these entries probably do), then Al removes all doubt in his latest broadside on the Bush administration.” And he adds although he has not read the book that,

“Maureen Dowd gets it right when she calls Gore’s book a “high-minded scold”. Gore’s primary “research” is selective newspaper articles, selective Congressional testimony, selective commission reports. . .”

He says that because of all this he doesn't intend on reading it at all, “because the last thing I need is a condescending politician lecturing me about how life is. . . I have read a variety of book reviews about the book and that is good enough for me.” Yet I would push the question: why do you blog about a book you have not even read? Or if you do, why charge with confidence that he has used “selective quotes,” etc., when your sources are themselves merely a selection of book reviews? One can simply not be unaware that using substandard rhetoric to attack a book with the title “Assault on Reason,” will leave one open to the charge of being ironic.

Personally I have so far read the majority of the book and can say, based on that portion, I didn’t find the book at all “arrogant” or “condescending.” I was surprised that it was as balanced and reasonable as it was; I was really expecting a partisan polemic. What I found in its pages was a largely detached, critical examination of contemporary communications theory.

One of the things he writes about here is exactly the nature of the some of the criticism this book is getting: the person who writes it is scrutinized while the “ideas” within the book are marginalized by selective quotation, omission, or pre-judged sentiment. The book does lack eloquence at times. It does have an agenda. There is much Gore's book that is not new, but it does seem to try to present information an honestly way and to lead the reader with logic more than bluster, or clever verbal jabs. It's a good read.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Even though he irritates the ever-loving PISS out of me, I will say that people shouldn't publicly denounce/laud books, movies, whatever, that they have not taken the time to read or see.
Of course, things such as "White Chicks" or "insert obviously moronic work here" go against that theory.
But I digress.
Yeah, if you have an issue with it after you've taken the time to look at it, fine. But before...I'm a bit skeptical.
I will say this after having seen a couple of things he's done...I would personally (probably) prejudge the book based on other things I've seen/watched/read. I hate to admit that because it goes directly against what I just said, but I probably would. Why? Because largely, I DO find him condescending and irritating. Irritating because when he sets out to prove a point of logic, he leaves key elements out of his debate. (example: incon. truth. But we've talked about that so I'm not even going there...)
But here's the difference between me, and a person who is writing for a periodical of some sort: I don't put my theories on literature on the internet typically! And if I do, I've read it! *shakes finger*
Bad, bad...to go laving criticism publicly before you do your homework.
-end of rant-